ANTIGO (WAOW) — After a swan died from lead poisoning, Raptor Education Group Inc. (REGI) is urging hunters not to use lead ammunition.
The organization said that lead ammunition isn’t only dangerous for wildlife, but is also harmful to people. Marg Gibson, the director at REGI recommends using steel or copper instead.
“It just takes a small thing on their part to make a change, to make a real difference for the wildlife in our state and in other states as well,” Gibson said.
She said lead poisoning causes a number of problems in the birds the care for, including mental confusion, lack of appetite and organ failure.