For this week's Garden Goodies Justin Loew traveled to a local master gardener for tips on growing fruit trees.
In addition, Norm and Jan Deffner cooked up some rhubarb cake for the crew to enjoy. We have eaten rhubarb on previous occasions but never a delicious rhubarb cake.
- 1/2 cup salad oil (use one of your favorite baking oil or shortening)
- 4 cups diced rhubarb
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup nut meats (use one of your favorite nuts for baking)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Combine oil, rhubarb, eggs, sugar, and nuts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Combine the two mixtures, stir together, and pour into a 9X13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.