Skip to Content

Jury finds Derek Chauvin guilty on all three charges in the death of George Floyd

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00
MicrosoftTeams-image (26)
MicrosoftTeams-image (27)

News app viewers can watch here

(WAOW) — After a nearly three week trial, a jury returned with a guilty verdict for Derek Chauvin, the former officer charged in the death of George Floyd.

The verdict comes not even 24 hours after the jury began deliberations in the evening of April 19. According to ABC News, the jury deliberated for 10.5 hours over the course of two days.

Sentencing is scheduled for eight weeks form now, with more exact dates at a later time.

Chauvin faced three charges in connection with the death of Floyd: second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second degree manslaughter. Two of those charges came only days after Floyd died, the second-degree murder charge was added a week later.

Floyd died on May 25, 2020, after Minneapolis police officers arrested him on suspicion of using a counterfeit $20 bill at a store. In a widespread bystander video of the arrest, Chauvin can be seen kneeling on Floyd's neck for nine minutes and 29 seconds.

That same video caused nationwide outrage, leading to protests and sometimes violent riots.

Chauvin was fired just days later and was arrested on May 29. He posted a $1 million bond and was released on conditional bail on Oct. 7.

During the three-week-long trial, the prosecution called 38 witnesses, including eyewitnesses to the arrest, the Minneapolis police chief and outside experts in policing and medicine. The defense called seven witnesses, including their own experts in medicine and policing.

Chauvin himself did not testify, claiming 5th Amendment privilege.

Prosecutors argued that Chauvin used an unreasonable amount of force in pinning Floyd down, ultimately leading to his death.

Chauvin's defense, on the other hand, argue that Floyd's drug use and bad heart caused his death.

In closing arguments, Defense Attorney Eric Nelson argued Chauvin acted as a reasonable and lawful officer would because Floyd’s resistance during the first 16 minutes of the arrest justified the use of force. He also claimed Floyd died from a number of factors including an underlying heart condition, illegal drug use and possibly because he inhaled fumes from the police vehicle's exhaust near where Floyd was on the ground.

The prosecution argued Floyd died largely because Chauvin's weight on his back and neck for more than nine minutes restricted Floyd's breathing, causing a lack of oxygen and eventually death. Prosecuting Attorney Jerry Blackwell told jurors Chauvin's knee on Floyd's neck was a substantial cause of death, which is all that's required for a guilty verdict. He said other factors were incidental. Blackwell also told jurors to believe what they saw in the video and to use their common sense.

Following closing arguments, Defense Attorney Nelson laid the groundwork for a possible appeal, in part on the basis of massive news coverage of the trial, which he feared the jurors may have seen because they were not sequestered until deliberations began. Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill rejected the call for a mistrial, saying jurors had been instructed to avoid watching the news.

The judge did acknowledge that comments made by California Rep. Maxine Waters may be grounds for an appeal of a potential guilty verdict. Waters called on protestors to "get more confrontational" if the verdict is anything but "guilty."

This is a developing story. Stick with News 9 as we get more information.

Author Profile Photo

Sierra Rehm

Social Media and Digital Content Manager

Skip to content