Skip to Content

Wisconsin Drought Status

89.7% of Wisconsin is abnormally dry (Level D0 drought).  This equates to pasture and crops being stressed.  The other 10.3% of Wisconsin had more snow, thus more water from snowmelt.

The U.S. Drought Monitor started in 2000. Since 2000, the longest duration of drought (Drought levels D1–D4) in Wisconsin lasted 108 weeks beginning on August 26, 2008, and ending on September 14, 2010. The most intense period of drought occurred the week of July 24, 2012, where D3 affected 19.69% of Wisconsin land.

Most of NC WI is 0-2" below normal precipitation

When I think of drought, I think of the west and southwest.  I worked in northern California, so I am more in tune with that area.  It is all relevant. 

The water situation could get dire in California as some of the biggest and most important reservoirs are only half full. Lake Shasta in northern California is only at 53 percent of its capacity right now and if you compare that to where it was at last year at this time it was at 80 percent capacity, so a much worse situation going on right now. Lake Orville about 80 miles north of Sacramento is at 41 percent capacity and lake Folsom is only at 37 percent capacity. California's at a particularly dry year with only about half the precipitation that normally gets. It is for the third driest water year on record. Most of the water to fill the reservoirs comes from the snowpack in the Sierra mountains.  The snowpack is at about the same level it was last year in northern California.

Author Profile Photo

Jeff Andrews

Skip to content