UPDATE 4:45PM: New information has been released by Marshfield Fire & Rescue in regards to the HAZMAT incident at Marshfield Clinic.
Deputy Chief Troy Weiland says their crews were called at approximately 1:27pm Monday for a spill of Nitric acid.
According to Weiland, lab employees at the Melvin Laird Center on the Clinic Campus were pouring some of the acid into a 1 liter container when an unexpected chemical reaction occurred, causing a flush of orange-colored gas.
Two floors of the building were evacuated and all employees were accounted for after HAZMAT and Fire/Rescue crews arrived.
The spilled acid was found, contained and isolated in a fume hood within the building.
The interior atmosphere was ventilated, checked and cleared by crews.
The spilled acid was taken away and crews cleared the scene at approximately 2:57pm.
MARSHFIELD, Wis. (WAOW) – A chemical spill inside a laboratory on the Marshfield Clinic campus has been cleared, according to officials.
Jeff Starck of Marshfield Clinic Media Relations says the spill was a ‘potential chemical concern’ and that an employee quickly triggered a precautionary evacuation of the lab just before 2:00pm Monday.
Marshfield Fire & Rescue were on-scene and were able to sound all-clear a little less than an hour later, according to Starck.
At the time of publishing, it is not known what chemical was involved in the spill or if anyone was injured.
Marshfield Fire & Rescue is working on a press release that will be added to this story.