Skip to Content

Fire causes Schofield storage building to be evacuated

SCHOFIELD, Wis. (WAOW) — A fire broke out in a maintenance area at Northern Cold Storage Monday afternoon. It closed parts of Grossman Drive for several hours.

Firefighters believe some cardboard caught fire after a wall heater malfunctioned.

Internal sprinkler systems put the fire out, but the area also contained an ammonia pump. A hazmat team was called in by the storage company.

“They showed up here and made sure that the ammonia system was working correctly and it is,” said Rob Bowen, the Riverside Fire District Fire Chief. “So there’s no fear to the public or anything.”

Fire crews started packing up around 6:00 PM.

All employees evacuated the building without injury.

There was light smoke damage to the building.

Curtis Aderholdt

A WAOW photo journalist since December 2014.

Skip to content