Skip to Content

UPDATE: Eagle River loses Hockeyville sweepstakes

UDPATE: Eagle River loses the Hockeyville sweepstakes. Calumet, Michigan won the sweepstakes. The decision was announced during intermission of an NHL game Sunday.


EAGLE RIVER, Wis. (WAOW) — A Wisconsin community could be named the next “Hockeyville,” but it will need your help to do so.

The Eagle River Sports Arena has been named one of four finalists in the 2019 Kraft Hockeyville USA sweepstakes.

The sweepstakes, in its fifth year, begins every January as submissions come in from communities across the country. A panel judges a community’s story, which account for 80 percent of its total score, before tallying the community’s rally activity, which is worth the remaining 20 percent, to determine the top four communities.

Then, the finalists square off in one round of voting before a winner is announced. This year, the grand prize is an NHL game at the winning rink plus $150,000 in rink upgrades.

Joining the Eagle River in the finals are Cadillac, Michigan, Calumet, Michigan and Sartell, Minnesota.

Voting opens at 6 a.m. Saturday, March 30 and runs through 11 a.m. Sunday, March 31. The grand prize winner will also be announced Sunday.

For more information, click here. 

Author Profile Photo


Skip to content